This clementine cake is a refreshing change from Christmas cake. It is a rich, dense sponge that is also free from gluten and refined sugars. It fills the kitchen with wonderful citrusy aromas as it bakes – heaven.
- 4-6 clementines depending on size (approx 380g) skin on
- 5 eggs
- 50 ml olive oil
- 125 g honey
- 300 g ground almonds
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- Put clementines in saucepan and cover with water, bring to boil, and simmer for 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the water level. Drain and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 160 c fan and grease and line a 24 cm loose bottom cake tin.
- When clementines are cool, cut in half, remove pips and blend with skins in a food processor until smooth. Add the eggs, honey and olive oil, blending to combine. Then add the almonds, baking powder and pinch of salt, blend but do not over mix at this stage.
- Pour batter into cake tin and bake for 50 minutes. You may need to cover the top with baking paper halfway through to stop the top over browning.
- Allow to cool in the tin and turn out once cooled.